.

.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Turn: Michael Ng Says Goodbye

Michael Ng in his leg of the All-Star Sunday Cup
When I started playing basketball at age 9 in 4th grade, I had no hope to be good at basketball, because I did not know you had to run a lot, practice and share the ball. But when Mr. Copeland, Bryan Cheung, James Chiu, Patty Fung, Vinette Ly and John Wang came into my life, it was a whole different story.

Sure you often see me out of breath when I am running laps, but at least I learn every time if I do run out of breath, I try harder to push myself to the limit. 

Often when the coach of your team is making you run lots of laps, you think that they are crazy or this is punishment, but really, they are helping you. If they didn't make you run during practices, you couldn’t keep up in a game.

That is what I learned from my years in St. Mary’s Athletics. Sure, Bryan gets really mad if you don't dribble the ball right, shoot accurately or in my case, not box out on rebounds. But think about it, he is just helping you improve on your game.

He coached me in some games and believe me he is scary if you do something dumb, like miss a wide open lay-up or travel. But one thing he does after the game is respect us and really talk to us about how we lost and what we should improve upon.

Bryan has been my athletic director since I was in 5th grade and look what he has brought to St. Mary’s: volleyball, baseball, soccer, and he’s done all of that in only four years!

He came up with a crazy idea called Epic Video and Timmy’s Corner. Each Tuesday I looked forward to Timmy’s corner because each week Timmy always did something funny or dumb and I would have a good laugh!

When I was in 7th grade, our coaches were James Chiu, John Wang, and last but not least, Vinette Ly. I thought we were going to have a good time because I knew that girl coaches don't yell as much and James coached the 5th grade and will be a little easy on us but sadly now, each time the Red Team fools around in practice or talks while the coach is talking, we get yelled at by Vinnete and James.

One thing about James is he makes you run a lot for missed lay ups, fooling around in practice, and also games that we lost. But one thing that I will most remember about him is that he is always trying to improve basketball skills for us.

This year, John Wang coached the 8th grade white team and the replacement was Patty Fung. The moment we heard this, the whole team was like “Uh-oh, one more person to yell at us,” but as we came to the conclusion, Patty is a fun coach to hang around with and Patty is always trying to find or make ways to improve our game.

Last but not least, I will always remember the parents who always drive me to games, most of them do not even live in San Francisco but they use their time to take me to a game and take me back home after, right Mrs. and Mr.Yu, Mrs. and Mr. Lee, Bryan Cheung, James Chiu?

I will never forget the bittersweet memories I had when I was at the St. Mary’s Athletics program.

I will never forget how the coaches and parents have been so helpful throughout the year thank you and goodbye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for information!

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP