.

.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Andrew's 8th grade girls reflection


By Andrew Tio, 8th grade girls basketball coach

When Leslie asked me to join her in coaching the 8th Grade girls team, I hesitated.  Sure, it could be fun, but they'd probably also tease me a lot.

It was!  They did.

The year started off a little shaky.  I was worried the first couple of practices.  Some of these girls didn't even know which hand they like to shoot with! They had some confidence issues. Plus, they were best friends so practices would have a lot of giggling.

Leslie and I pushed them. They worked hard during every practice. They hung tight against tough and taller teams.  They won games.  They ran a lot and won more games.  Louisville drill goals increased and they won some more! They held their planks longer, and at the end of the season they were 7-1.  Every girl had a game where she was MVP.

The girls played a fantastic playoff game, each one of them playing the best I've ever seen them play.  Wonderful passing.  Great communication. Amazing confidence.

Then they won the Championship.  I was so happy and proud of what they had accomplished.  When they won, you could see Leslie and all the girls give each other a huge hug.  You might also see me standing to the side.  This was their moment.  They worked hard together, for each other, over the last few years.  I think Leslie and the girls could have accomplished all that they did without me.  Still, I'm proud and grateful to have been a part of their team.

Ladies, congratulations!  I'd like to leave you with advice that we've been telling you the entire season.  Hopefully you'll remember them in your future endeavors.

Lily, breathe (see you next year)
Victoria, be confident
Kelly, believe in yourself
Becca, stay on your feet
Jamie, take your time and don't rush
Fiona, look for your opportunities and take them

Keep having each other's backs

Andrew


No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP