.

.

Monday, February 3, 2014

I hurt myself today...

I believe the title of this blogpost contains lyrics from a Johnny Cash song.

I can also guarantee you that 1% of you even know who that is.

So if you graciously visited the blog a few weeks ago or followed along for a few years, you will recall the last time I played a little basketball I got sent to the floor and hurt my ankle. That was three years ago.

You think I would've learned my lesson.

Some of you may also know I've been running in the last year or so. Not just light jogs, but a good three miles minimum on most weeks and I sweat like there is no tomorrow. I would like to think I am in decent shape, but that's relatively speaking.

So Sunday at NDV, one of the girls said we should scrimmage and it would've been an even 4-on-4. And for those of you who have played for me know that rarely do I ever get involved with the action -- I just like to stand back and bark.

But I said let's give it a go. So I took two of the 6th grade girls and one of the 7th grade twins on my team to play against the other four 7th and 8th grade girls.

My team got spanked.

I think we lost 30-14 or something like that.

I tried pretty hard, especially on defense. I took no mercy on them and blocked several shots.

Late in the game, I went all out and jumped long and hard towards a ball Kelly was shooting.

So I got a piece of the ball and sent it flying, but because I went "HAM" I also landed awkwardly on the side of my ankle, the same one I rolled a few years back.

Call me Stephen Curry. Yes, I just compared myself to Steph Curry.

In all likelihood, my sesamoid bone gave out again, and this time I felt my knee buckle a little bit. I hit the ground hard and so did everybody else, except they were literally ROFL while I was down and out and in pain.

I sat there on the gym floor for about five minutes, hoping the pain would go away as sweat came pouring down my face. I managed to play a little bit more after but I was far from my 100% the rest of the way.

So at age 62, I feel extremely old and sad that my body can't even hold up against fragile little 7th and 8th graders in a pick up game.

However, hopefully all will heal and I'll have a blockbuster announcement coming in the next week.

No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP