.

.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Victorian reflection

Victoria with former teammate Tina, teammates Fiona and Ivy after her second volleyball championship
By Victoria Huang

Wow, I can’t believe we graduated.

After years and years of waiting for this moment, it has finally come. Looking back at my six years of having the pleasure to play sports, I think it’s been very memorable.

All the ups and downs, I’ll remember most of it forever, I hope. I faintly remember the first time Bryan Cheung walked into the classroom. He had a stack of papers that read “St. Mary’s Athletics Newsletter”. I had no idea what it was about. He went on and on about how when we get to 3rd grade, we can join sports. And I’m glad I did.

Some memories that stick out to me are that when I was in 3rd grade, I made my first shot in basketball, and I remember it being a headline of the newsletter. I felt so proud and I probably still have that paper. Even though it’s just a paper, it carries a lot of emotions. Then in 6th grade, we got second place in the basketball championship game.

This year was the most amazing one I’ve ever had. I can’t believe how fast this year went by and I don’t know if it was the anxiety towards graduation or the thought of going to high school.

In volleyball, I don’t even know where to start. Back in 4th grade, we could barely serve the ball over the net and we could only sometimes simply bump the ball over. Now we can bump, set, and spike. In the preseason, we won all three tournament games, then went on to win the tournament championship as well. It started out as winning no games to ending the regular season 7-1 and winning the championship in 7th and 8th grade!

In my last basketball season at St. Mary's, we played the hardest we could’ve ever played. We got to the championships and won first place! That’s something I’ll remember for the rest of my life.

Bryan is an amazing person. He gave us the chance to go out and do different things. He inspired me to try new things. Sometimes, he says some harsh things. But that really pushed me to try harder. Some advice to the younger kids: Join everything you can and try it. Just try it. It can’t hurt you. You won’t regret it.

Last, but not least, my classmates are not just my classmates or friends, they are my family. I’ve grown up with most of them and they really and truly are my family. We all love each other as a sibling would. It’s funny how sometimes we would call each other “brother” or “sister."

I won’t forget all the great times I’ve shared with you guys and I’m glad to call you my classmates and friends.

I will miss you all. I love you guys very much.

--Victoria Huang

No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP