.

.

Friday, June 20, 2014

The Justin Khuu farewell

The 8th grade boys won the CYO Pre-Season Tournament in 2013

By Justin Khuu

Five years ago I was asked to be the assistant coach for a bunch of 4th graders.

At the time I did not think much of it, just another team to coach - boy was I wrong.

Throughout the years I have pushed them hard and expected many great things from them and I was not disappointed. If you asked the kids "What's something that you'll remember of coach Justin?" They'll tell you that I always yelled at them because of a poor performance and was never satisfied.

The reason why I was so harsh was because I knew they could do better, I knew they had the ability to do whatever they wanted as long as they put their minds to it, and I was right.

They have many playoff and championship appearances, as well as a championship ring to show off.

Year after year they were able to make it to the playoffs, if not the championships. The crazy kids that made up this team were always focused on one thing "to win."

Whenever people looked down on them and believed their season would end, they would come back to show them what they're made of. The perfect example would be their 7th grade year. That season, we lost to a team twice during the regular season, but when we faced off again in the playoffs, these kids played their hearts out and won in arguably the most exciting game of their careers.

To my team, I'm extremely proud of you guys for your achievements throughout the years. I hope that my harsh words did not impact you negatively and that you realize that I was hard on you guys because I knew what you were truly capable of.

Ryan, Garrick, Thomas, Joseph, Aaron, Audi, Raymond, Jason -- each of you guys brought something special to the team. You all will forever hold a special place in my heart. I thank you for all the effort you guys have put in to each season, I thank you for all the laughs and fun times that we had, and I thank you for allowing me to coach you guys.

It saddens me to say that this is our last year together as a team and that there is no "next year." Remember that you all are great, not just basketball players, but great people too. I know that you all will go on to do many great things. You guys can achieve any goal as long as you put your mind to it. I am glad to have been able to call myself your coach.


To Bryan...

In the 5th grade, our coach was somebody I barely remember. All I remember is disappointment.

But in the 6th grade, when Bryan became my coach, it was the start of something great.

Basketball was something I was never truly great at, and it still isn't. But as a coach he always pushed us to work harder, to do better, and to excel.

This was what brought us to our championship victory in 2007. I remember I came to practice early and he had me work on my free throws for what felt like an eternity. That practice surely paid off as I remember I made most, if not all my free throws in a game my 8th grade year. I remember that game because a kid bear hugged and slammed me in to the ground. I later found out that his name was also Justin.

But after that, I had such confidence in my free throw abilities that I still believe I'm a free throw "god", and I can trace it all back to Bryan.

Another memory was during the championship game in my 8th grade year, where the opposing team was taking out the ball on the opposite end of the court. Bryan yelled "GO GO GO!!!" and I just sprinted down and intercepted the inbound pass, only to fly out of bounds, haha.

I later remember Bryan telling me he never expected me to get down there and actually stop the pass.

Throughout the years, Bryan has taught me many things, but the most important lessons I learned were not one's of basketball. They were life lessons that helped to shape the person who I am now.

He would always give me sound advice when I needed it most.

When I had a problem or I needed to shape up, Bryan had no issue with being upfront with me and telling me how to correct myself.

Without him, I would not be who I am today. I am happy that I am able to share with my final year here with him as the athletic director.

Not only was Bryan the St. Mary's Athletic Director, he was my coach, and most importantly, my friend.

No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP