.

.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A special thank you

Bryan Cheung – 100% Pure Man
by Cassandra Yu





If anyone didn’t know, Bryan Cheung is St. Mary’s current Athletic Director and has been for the past 5 years. In these 5 years we have learned that Bryan is 100% Pure Man! Just kidding! Hahaha!

Bryan has managed to bring this school of just basketball to a school that not only participated in basketball, but also volleyball, soccer and baseball. And oh wait I forgot one, track. Believe me when I say it was never easy for Bryan to convince the children to play a sport they weren’t familiar with, but with his perseverance we had a team for every sport, and sometimes too many players where there had to be two teams.

When there weren’t enough players from St. Mary’s he went to the neighborhood schools and St. Mary’s Language School to recruit players. Many thought Bryan was “bossy” and some thought he was a “bully” to make these children play, but to others it was all about “opportunity”, the opportunity for them to expand their fear and knowledge of trying something new and “different”. There is no doubt in any parents mind that academics play a huge roll in something we call “life”.

Playing sports is not as critical as academics but it does help mold an individual; it helps with their character, management of time between homework, games and a social life, that “I” is not part of “Team” and the pressure.

My daughter, Marissa, was a perfect example of this. She loved the game of basketball and would be at her sister’s practice every week. Finally at 5th Grade she had a team. Then in 6th Grade she pleaded with us to allow her to play soccer (a little scary given she was the only girl on the team) and volleyball.

We were a little skeptical as keeping up with homework might have been a little challenging with all of the practices going on. The condition for her to continue and play on all of these teams was that she maintained her grades and was able to keep up with her studying. In 7th Grade she added to her plate another team, playing on a basketball team in an Asian organization. Not only did she manage to keep up with her homework and her grades but she was also able to have a social life and hang out with friends and do some chores at home.

Marissa is about to complete her 1st year in high school and was part of and contributed to an undefeated basketball team; without Bryan’s encouragement (and of course guidance and support from her parents) of challenging what she could be and reaching for the stars she may not be where she is today.

As I have mentioned at Sports Awards Night, Bryan has brought this Sports Program a long way, in no way was it an easy road, believe me, I know. The countless conversations we had of “how to we get more St. Mary’s participation”, etc. Rides were also a huge factor in getting parents to agree to allow their child to play. On several occasions Bryan single handedly drove around the City just to make sure the “squad” was on time, present and ready to play. As mean as he was with these kids he really had good intentions. It taught the children when you commit to a team or anything in life you follow through. It is important for the players to know they can count on each other and not question whether someone will show up or not.

Bryan has a heart of gold that no one knows and realizes. Unless you spend time with Bryan, you would think he is mean and just wants to fill that team! I can honestly say with all my heart that is not the case.

He may not always show it but he does cares. I specifically recall the support Bryan showed towards my family about a year ago. My dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer and at first I thought I would get some smart remark; but instead I got “I’m sorry Mrs. Yu, please let me know if there is anything I can help you with”. The next 3 months were absolutely gut wrenching for the family.

If anyone knows Bryan he doesn’t like and feels uncomfortable to be around “sick” people, but he came by the house on numerous occasions just to say “hi” to my dad and hang out and bring my children non-Chinese food. He felt equally important that my children continue to laugh and keep their spirits up regardless of what was happening in their lives. He called just about every day just to see how things were going or if he could help drive my busy children to their activities. He even called my daughters to check in to make sure they were okay and if they just needed someone to talk to. No words can explain how grateful we were just to have him around.

Bryan’s humor even helped during that difficult time, and we all know he could come up with some weird jokes, but nevertheless it helped. (Sorry Bryan I exposed you do have a heart!)



Bryan’s commitment and dedication to St. Mary’s Sports Program has truly been an amazing experience for anyone involved. At Awards Night, yes we know it can be long, but it is great to see him acknowledge each and every one of the players, as well as the coaches. Finding the right coach is not easy either, but he does. Not only is Bryan an inspiration to the children but so are the coaches. With all of the love, encouragement and enthusiasm they provided, the players truly reached for the stars and it truly showed.

Bryan’s influence on these children continues to be immeasurable. Not only are you their Athletic Director but someone they look up to and respect (even if they are chewed out for what you think is not putting enough effort into their game). You will continue to be the magnet between the children, the school and the St. Mary’s Sports Program. Thank you for all you’ve done and keep up the great work!

I leave this thought - 
“You taught me determination.
You gave me the skills to persist in life’s game,
And for that I always give thanks to you
And look back and boast that I had the privilege
Of calling you our Athletic Director”
~Anonymous

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

you did an amazing job these past years

keep it up

Anonymous said...

I agree, Bik Boi Cheung's presence is very appreciated. Such a sweet Gwai Jai

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with Mrs. Yu.
No words can describe how nice, awesome,fantastic & 100% pure man Bryan is. I'm glad I have someone like you in my life. & I'm glad you never gave up on recruiting the team during my 8th grade year. I remember you came in to our class and encourage us to play basketball every single day. And I'm glad I joined.

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP