.

.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Adonal Foyle hangs it up



One of the best ambassadors of the game of basketball is calling it quits -- former Warrior Adonal Foyle. Foyle is best known for his defense and shot blocking ability and also known for getting posterized on a yearly basis. He had no fear trying to block someone's shot and every now and then he'd be on the other end of a facial.

There are so many players in the NBA right now who are afraid to challenge a dunk, fearing they will be on the wrong end of a in your face dunk, so they don't even bother. Foyle was not one of them.

Foyle is very articulate, born in Canouan, a very very tiny island. He will one day become a politician as he is very educated, knows his politics and always gives back to the community. If you ever get a chance to meet this guy, he is one of the nicest and most humble soft spoken human beings ever to live.

My best memory of Adonal Foyle is when I used to work at the NFL Shop at Pier 39, and for Christmas, I bought my Grandma an Adonal Foyle jersey.

He had a solid NBA career and most recently played with the Orlando Magic.

Here is his goodbye letter to his fans:

By: Adonal Foyle

Love Song to a Game


How should I tell thee goodbye?

What can you say about a love affair to rival that of Romeo & Juliet?
This is not just some melancholy ode to a hackneyed love of mortals.

I found our love deep in the entrails of the Caribbean Sea. Love that
swept me to a land where our embrace became mythical.

You showed me a world that few have dreamt of.

Colgate's golden steeple, a sojurn where ancient teachings flooded my mind.

There in the Chenango Valley where 13 sang my soul to flight,
basketball laid siege to my soul.

I do not cry for the passing of our love for it stands radiant while
my brittle bones crumble through swift time.

I have known you by so many faces; I will spend my end of days recalling.

You have infected so many with the allure of riches and black gold.
But I am not angry with you my love. For to a boy who was lost in the
bosom of nothing you gave hope and home.

Like the flickering of a light we come and go without much fuss. So I
leave you to fend off seekers, hoping they too will cherish your
unyielding countenance.

As for me, I will forever live in the glare of your loving embrace.
From time to time I hope you will look in on this pitiful fool.

I will miss brothers of a quilt struggling with burning lights. If I
offer advice, pierce beyond the glaring lights and see the faces
behind the wall. Don't be fooled by the magicians' nibble fingers. For
this is a life with mirrors and screens. Its only truth lies in the
understanding it will all end.

The sound I will take home is the symphony of thousands of screaming friends.

Warriors, Magic and yes, Memphis too, I sing you praise, hope, blessings,

Flowing from a boy's songs of thanks to you and you and you,to all I knew.

Please stay my "immortal love."

No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP