.

.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sally on Sally's St. Mary's career

Before Bryan became Athletic Director at St. Mary’s, I never really planned on playing any sports.  But as time went on, I started to begin loving basketball. 

Last year, volleyball was introduced to us. We were (0-8) in our first year, but we had a lot of fun and I will never forget it.  I still remember when we first learned to bump the ball until now.  We can all serve or spike the ball.  Heather, Matt and Vivian have helped me improved tremendously.  Some things I think I’ve improved on are bumping, serving, tipping, and spiking. Volleyball made me realize that if I set my mind on something I want to accomplish I will accomplish my goal.

I remember when we first began playing; almost all of us were scared of the ball, even me.  But now, when they spike it to us with all their force, we can bump it back to them and we aren’t afraid.  This year, we were (4-4), and were runner-ups in the eighth grade seventh division championship.

Even though we didn’t win, we played our best and will never forget all the great times we had.  Every player had their funny memories. From when Bryan spiked the ball and hit my face, to when Tianna bumped the ball so hard, it went over the fence at Helen Wills.  We practiced as hard as we could, and in the end it all paid off.

In the years I have played basketball in my St. Mary’s career, I think I’m going to miss this year the most.  It was the first time we made it to championships and got into the basic fundamentals of the sport.  From when we first started playing in 5th grade, we have had many different coaches: Em’s Dad, Monica Ngou, Andrew Chack, Ronnie, Thanh, Aaron, Tiffanie Vuong, and now Bryan.  We have had to adjust to each coach and eventually all their hard work combined has made a team that has improved.

From seasons where we were (2-6) to (4-4) and this year (7-1), this year was the year we made it to championships. We probably played our best game of our St. Mary’s careers during our playoff game.  I will never forget all the fun times we had at practice and how much we’ve improved.

After all the years of practice, I think my dribbling and shooting has improved compared to when I first began playing. This year was the year where we actually got into the sport, focused more, and didn’t feel bad for the team who we were beating.

When I graduate from St. Mary’s, I will never forget how playing sports has changed me as a person.  It taught me to be a team player and cooperate well with others.  Without the continual help of my coaches, teammates, parents, and supporters; I would not have made it this far.  Thank you for always being there through our wins and losses.

I will always miss this school, especially all the sports and all the wonderful athletes who come out to play.

No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP