.

.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bye bye class of 2010


Exactly one week ago, I said goodbye to the class of 2010 for the very last time. For me, it was the most fun and most emotional graduation dinner dance that I have been apart of in my three years as an athletic director.

I've said it many times, to this class, at awards night and to other people that I have come across in the last several weeks -- this is my favorite class.

Since they were in 6th grade, almost every time I would enter their classroom, they would all stop what they were doing and start clapping. On many occassions, their teachers had no clue what had happened, because they just all of a sudden heard a round of applause. Sometimes, individuals in the class would get in trouble for clapping, but they did it anyways, which I appreciate and always will.

I don't know what else I could possibly say that I haven't said already. But the realization that I will no longer be able to see this class on a daily basis come this fall is something I didn't want to have to encounter. Even this week, being at school was a different feeling. I had one less class to visit as the lights in the 8th grade room were off for good.

Every person in this class joined a sport at one point in their St. Mary's career. Look it up, and I doubt you will find another class that has done the same. They appeared in several championships, accomplished a lot of firsts, and exemplified what St. Mary's Athletics is all about.

Last Thursday, I stood in front of the 8th grade room, holding back tears, knowing that this was the final time I would ever speak to all of them as a class.

Other classes who have graduated have shown me love, but none as much as this class. For the first time this year, they all invited me to be in their graduation picture. Look at the classes who have graduated and there is no sign of Bryan Cheung in any of those photos. They've been so welcoming of me in their classroom that at times I even feel like I am part of their class. I feel honored and privileged working with this special collection of characters.

In closing, I wish each and every one of you in the class of 2010 the best in everything you do. And like I said last week, set the bar high and never settle. Find something you like to do, and do it well.

Thank you all for being part of my life. You will all forever hold a special place in my heart.

Goodbye and good luck.

No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP