.

.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saturday Update, Oh Derek Jeter

The front page of the San Jose Mercury News online sports website earlier this week. What do you notice?
Hello everybody. Thank you to the five people...wait, six people, who still look at the blog over the summer. So today I am just going to miscellaneously give my random thoughts on a random myriad of subjects. And I will make sure you spend more than five minutes just reading and going through what I have to get through.

I'll touch on the status of Epic Video, some possible new things for the upcoming school year, as well as some stories making headlines in the sporting world.

  • Epic Video. I still have one more in me for the summer, but haven't gotten around to planning it. Part laziness, part lack of creative material. Maybe I should've just ended with the Disneyland video. For now, we look back at a Part 2 of Epic Video that didn't get as many hits as I would have liked, so maybe you have never seen this one.

  • I still have a few more 8th grade reflection pieces to post, three more to be exact. One from Timmy, another from Miles, and then Marissa. In what order, I do not know, but one of them will go up before Monday.
  • It is not too early to start thinking about next year. We will have some new faces in each class, which means that there will hopefully be more players on teams next year, starting with girls volleyball and boys soccer. For volleyball, I hope that we can have at least two teams, but a lot of that will be dependent on how many new girls join. As for soccer, we could always use more. We are losing one team for sure, but hopefully we can see what we can do with other schools and still have two soccer teams.
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL NOTES
  •  Let's start with the Giants. As I type this, they are a game up in the National League West, but man oh man, can this team pitch, and man oh man, this cannot hit. Their offense is absolutely dreadful. Every game they win is 3-1, 2-0, 3-2. Very rarely do they win by more than a few runs. And when they score 4 runs, I would say there is a 90% chance they win the game because of how good their pitching is. Hopefully a trade is in the works and they can add a bat for the stretch run.
  • On the other side of the Bay, I met one of the nicest athletes in the game, A's All-Star Gio Gonzalez. If you watched GameDay last week, I was mentioned in his interview. Gio was courteous, genuine and just a guy that you want to root for. Without me even asking, his father told Gio to have him sign a picture for me. Very nice family and such a skilled pitcher at 25 years old.By the way, the All-Star Game is Tuesday night, 5 p.m. on FOX. Good luck to Gio and the Giants All-Stars, Tim Lincecum, Brian Wilson, Matt Cain and Ryan Vogelsong.
  •  I am smitten. Oh Derek Jeter. Jeter became the 28th member of the 3,000 hit club, an incredible feat for Major Leaguers and he got #3,000 on a home run. What a special moment, take a look at the highlight. Click the link since MLB will not allow me to embded videos. 
BYE BYE DANY HEATLEY AND DEVIN SETOGUCHI

Devin Setoguchi (front) and Dany Heatley (back) are now both former Sharks.
  •  How cruel the world of professional sports can be? Devin Setoguchi signed a 3-year contract with the Sharks, only to be shipped off in a trade the next day. Dany Heatley, who probably enjoyed San Jose the most out of any of his teams, had to pack his bags to join former teammate Setoguchi in Minnesota last Sunday when he was traded as well.  So Seto and Heater go from a team that has made the final four in two consecutive years, to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in three years.
In a related story, a friend of mine who also works with me at Ch. 5 went to the Sharks locker   room cleanup and overheard Setoguchi and Heatley giving their phone number to a reporter. I actually have both of their phone numbers and they both got traded. Isn't that ironic?


FINAL NOTE
That is a lot of blogging for today, enough to make up for the missed days, I don't know. I do get to see how many page views I get per day and they have slipped since the summer started, understandably so. I'll look at the trend and if I can get more page views, I will update it more on a consistent basis. Otherwise, we'll stick to the handful of updates per week.

Epic Video, the season finale, within the next two weeks. Maybe as early as possibly this Thursday...No promises though. If I have enough good material, it will happen.

Thanks for participating folks. Be sure to scroll down and catch up on anything you have missed and hopefully some of you will come out to Mr. B's big match tomorrow at Golden Gate Park.

And please, don't forget to LMS...

No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP