.

.

Monday, June 1, 2009

The 8th grade girls

By Coach James Chiu

When I was younger my uncle used to tell me to play more basketball because it would make me taller. Well, I’m probably not going to get much taller, but I’m pretty glad I decided to stick with basketball.

I’ve spent a good portion of my life on the court running, sweating, shooting and doing everything to expand on the facets that make a good basketball player. But, never have I had the opportunity to take on the position of a coach until January of 2008.

It was a change going from player to coach, but as a team of three, Alex, Matt and I took this transition in stride. Since, we were all inexperienced we took the challenge and kept an open dialogue, working together with the motivation of helping our team of 7th grade girls learn the game of basketball.

This task proved to be a learning experience for all of us as our first season fell short of our expectations. Although we saw great improvements in the skills of our girls, a good start switched over to a series of tough losses that brought our high hopes back down to reality, finishing with an overall record of 3-8 (tournament and regular season).

With a new season, the addition of a new veteran coach in the great Bryan Cheung, and an extra year of experience under their belts, these girls came back with a mission. Through the added direction of Bryan, we pushed this team to learn from their mistakes and surpass the players they were the day before. Working hard every practice, through repetition and willpower these girls showed us not only how much they enjoyed playing the game, but also their competitive spirit in pursuit of success.

The biggest question was whether these girls could perform when it mattered, in game situations. Throughout the season, I saw a lot of sloppy plays, mostly from inexperience and bad habits. But, as we progressed I saw continual improvement. Whether it was making more lay-ups, grabbing rebounds, playing better defense or making plays when it counted, these girls were able to step up and earn their overall 10-3 record.

Although we fell short in championships, this game did not define our season. This 8th grade squad fought valiantly to come back from a flat start. Showing the grit and determination that true champions are made of. All in all, I want these girls to remember the path they took to reach their goals. Remembering the work they put in, the relationships they’ve carved and the motivation necessary to become great at something they really enjoy.

For this class of girls, I hope nothing but the best, and that they never become satisfied with mediocrity. Continue to set goals, aim high and have fun on the way to the top.

I am truly thankful to have had the opportunity to coach this graduating class of 8th grade girls. I will always remember not just the games, but all the great times at practices and events. From game winning shots, to surprising performances, to simple things like somehow being crossed by Olivia in practice or blocked by Shari (of course I got them back), these moments are the substances that have made my time with these girls one I will cherish for years to come.

No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP