.

.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

I'm a media pig


One of the perks about working in television is that you get to go places that a lot of YOU PEOPLE...kidding, the average person doesn't get to go to.

On Sunday, I got to cover the 49ers vs Seahawks game. What does it mean to cover it? It basically means I get to go to the game for free, watch the game comfortably in a press box, watch the final half of the 4th quarter from the sidelines, and go into the locker room after the game and get interviews with the coaches and players.

It seems easy, but it definitely is not. So here is the schedule of events that took place from the moment I arrived in the parking lot to the moment that my story aired on GameDay later Sunday night.

I get to the stadium and I take an elevator up to the press box, the place where all members of the media, from newspaper writers, bloggers and other reporters sit and watch the game.

What makes every member of the media a pig is the free food they get at games. At the 49ers games, they offer you a free lunch that Sunday featured rice, salad, and a bunch of different enchiladas -- free soda and chips as well. At half-time, they brought out another tray of freshly grilled hot dogs and we can pig out even more.

As the game is going on, I am taking notes as to what happened during the game -- crucial and pivotal moments that have affected the outcome of the game. I have to know which players I will target to interview after the game and what questions I need to ask.

With about 6 minutes left in the game, I take the elevator down to the field and watch the rest of the game from the 49ers sideline. If you ever watch an NFL game from the sidelines, you will realize just how fast the players are, and how big they are.

From the field, it is extremely loud as you can hear the music they blast, as well as the over 60,000 fans in attendance screaming at the top of their lungs.

The 49ers win and that usually bodes well for me, since it's easier to get players to talk following a victory. In my head, I already know which players I need to interview and which questions to ask.

Stop number one is the press conference room where the head coach Mike Singletary will go up to the podium and speak. I take notes on what he says and will use some of the things to form questions to ask the players. The coach is done and the camera guy and myself rush into the locker room where all the players just got out of the shower and are getting dressed.

Some of the stars of the game were the offensive linemen, so I know I need to get them on camera. Joe Staley, a 49ers tackle is getting out of the shower and walking to his locker with nothing but a towel covering his unmentionables. The pool of reporters usually waits until he gets dressed to start asking questions, but not this time. They ambush him before he gets to his locker and he is forced to answer questions while trying to keep his towel on at the same time.

He was a good sport, answered the questions and even said at one point, "This is kind of weird..."

So I spend the next half-an-hour or so getting as many interviews as possible. My work there is done.

I then drive back to the news station and have to start putting together a story about the game. I have to write out the basic elements of the story and know where to insert all the interviews I got. This process to put together a piece that runs only 1:47 is about 2-3 hours.

By 9 p.m., my work for the day is done. And at 11:35 p.m., it aired. I get a good pat on the back from everyone at work and then the next time I am asked to cover a game, I need to do the exact same thing, except even better.

No comments:

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP TONIGHT

8TH GRADE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGHLIGHTS

LATEST LIGHTS

3/15-3/23 Lights

6th Grade Championship

VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP